Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Our Top Fitness Tracker Picks

In order to provide the best service possible to our clients, we are constantly testing out the latest and greatest in wearable fitness trackers. Some of us can be seen with 3+ Fitbit or Garmin devices on at a time, and we often spend our lunch breaks discussing our activity data after a quick walk.

So, what better people to ask for wearable advice than our employees? We asked them what fitness tracker they feel best fits their daily lifestyle and compiled the list below to help you and your employees pick the best options for you:



Psst. Have you heard? We have a new product, The Wellness Outlet, whose sole job is to distribute wearables to your population at discounted prices. If you want to learn about this free value-add, you can schedule a time to connect with one of our team members here.



My workout style:Yoga and Barre fanatic
My favorite feature: Heart rate monitor

I love the Garmin vívosmart HR because the type of workouts I chose to do don’t involve a lot of movement compared to others. Because of the heart rate monitor, I still get credit for being active! I also love how much the screen displays for me – from steps and calories burned to phone notifications and the weather.

You should buy the device if: you love technology and do various workouts that don’t always involve “stepping”.





My workout style: Ex-competitive runner turned recreational soccer player
My favorite feature: Simplicity – clip it on and go, long battery life

I don’t like wearing wrist devices so something that is small and versatile, like the Garmin vívoki, that can clip to the waist or slip in a pocket works well for me. I also don’t want to have to think about the device a lot so the long battery life and easy offload is a big plus. I just need something that will keep me honest and let me know that I’m doing enough activity each day.

You should buy this device if: you want a no-frills, affordable device that isn’t wrist-worn.




My workout style: Fitness class fanatic (Pilates, Strength, Insanity, etc.)
My favorite feature:  Hourly move reminders & goal reached celebration function

I like the Fitbit Alta because it has stylish band options and an easy to use interface. Tap once and you can see all your stats. It does a great job tracking my various workout classes and Tuesday night volleyball games. It’s also great for move reminders. Every hour it buzzes with fun motivational sayings to help you get up and move. It also has a cool celebration notification when I meet my goals. Sounds like a minor detail, but being able to get that instant gratification of meeting a goal is a perfect motivator for me!

You should buy this device if: you are looking for slim, cool looking device great for everyday use.





My workout style: Heinz 57 or Mutt
My favorite feature: Versatility

I’m always on the go and squeeze time in for daily exercise wherever I can. The Garmin vívoactive HR versatility allows me to go from the office, to the gym, out for a run, ride, swim or coaching on the soccer field, all with the same device. The simplicity and versatility of the vivoactive HR fits well with a busy lifestyle.

You should buy this device if: you are looking for simplistic, yet versatile device.




My workout style: I am very much a moderate intensity, walk/hike/bike kind of girl. I have some physical limitations that keep me at a slower pace than I’d like. BUT, the key is to keep on moving, so I do!

My favorite feature: The band. It might sound silly, but the band is very comfortable. I keep it on 24/7, so that really is important. It’s comfortable and un-intrusive. It’s perfect and the best I’ve worn.

I love the Garmin vívofit 3 because it’s simple – I was able to “put it on and go” for the most part. I LOVE that it is waterproof. I don’t ever have to worry about it getting damaged. I love that I don’t have to take it off when swimming, or in the shower, or to charge the battery (because I know I’d forget to put it back on). I’ve only replaced the battery once so far and I’ve had it over 2 years!

You should buy this device if: you need something simple, durable and comfortable to wear and track activity every day!




My workout style: Cardio, Running, Hiking, Biking, Lifting
My favorite feature: Toss up between Water rating and GPS

I really like the durability of all the Garmin Devices. I like the Garmin Forerunner 235 because I can switch between cardio, running, biking, and walking without changing devices, which is awesome. I also never have to worry about getting it wet! I enjoy knowing that the battery will last upwards to 20 days on a single charge.

You should buy this device if: You enjoy running and biking.




My Workout style: Daily walks, with some weekly strength/cardio classes, like Barre.
My favorite feature: Looks like a normal watch

I like the Garmin vívomove because it has activity tracking for steps, miles and sleep but the look of a normal watch. It is sporty enough to wear during my walks and cardio classes but classy enough to wear with a dress. No one even realizes that I have an activity device on. I also really enjoy how low-tech it is as I tend to underutilize all the bells and whistles that can come with the different devices.

You should buy this device if: you are looking for basic and fashionable activity tracking.




My workout style: Unfocused

My favorite feature: Menu navigation is simple

I use steps and time to gauge my wellness goals. However, when I do run or bike I really like to know the distance using GPS so I can plan routes. Navigating and setting the Fitbit Charge 2 for running or biking is easier for me than on my other devices that track the same information.

You should buy this device if: you don't need a lot of options and find other device menus confusing.





My workout style: Cardio Queen, Circuits, & I love to swim 😊
My favorite feature: Waterproof

I love that the all of my notifications from my phone come to my Garmin vívosmart HR, with the ability to see the screen on a sunny day. The built-in heart rate monitor gives you a real time reading of my heart rate at any given time which is a nice function.

You should buy this device if: You are looking for a durable device that gives you real time access to notifications and heart rate.





My workout style: From pumping iron to missing putts
My favorite feature: Golf tracking

The Garmin Approach S20 gives me an excuse to conduct business on the golf course! The GPS golf tracking is awesome and the smart watch keeps me connected in the gym or on the course while also tracking daily activity.

You should buy this device: you enjoy golf and want an all in one solution.




My workout style: Sportsman (hunting, fishing, etc.)
My favorite feature: The illuminated display

The Garmin vivofit 3 is very simple and easy to use. The illuminated screen makes it easy to check the time when I am out in the field or woods in the early mornings and late nights.

You should buy this device if: you are looking for an activity tracker that is very simple and easy to use.





My workout style: Running to stay fit.
My favorite feature: Waterproof

I like my thin, waterproof Garmin vívoactive HR. It tracks so many activities indoors and outside that I don’t need another device. GPS tracking is nice to have too. I like knowing my heartrate 24/7. It’s amazing how quick heartrate goes up and how long it takes to return to normal  after 5 mile run.

You should buy this device if:  you participate different activities and want to be able to track them all with one single device.





My workout style: Run 4 days per week and 2 marathons per year.
My favorite feature:  I like the altimeter on the Garmin fénix 3 HR for a more accurate elevation total over my runs.

The Fenix 3 HR takes the best of all of the Garmin technology and puts it into one watch. I like to do a lot of different activities so the Fenix 3HR is perfect for me to use when I run, climb, bike, swim, and downhill ski.

You should buy this device if: you are active person that loves data.



We hope you enjoyed the list! We have a printable 8 1/2 x 11 version you can download here, and share/distribute as you please.

Every device listed here is available in The Wellness Outlet store, some up to 40% off retail! If you'd like more information on getting your employees access to the store please click here to talk with our wellness representatives.

Or, if you already have access to the store, login here to start shopping!